Nearby FDNY Companies

FDNY_Houses_Map.jpg
Worth the Visit!

Many of the fire companies located in the surrounding area date to the creation of the paid department, and many are quartered in historic houses. Like firefighters in most communities, they are staples of their neighborhoods, helping in emergencies big and small. Tourists are drawn to the firehouses for their beautiful architecture and to express their admiration of these heroic men and women.

Click to enlarge

Ladder 8
14 North Moore Street, New York, NY 10013

Ladder 8 was organized October 16, 1865, and originally worked out of a Volunteer-era house at 180 Clinton Street. The company moved to its present quarters in 1905. This historic firehouse has been the location for various films, including Ghostbusters and Hitch. The firehouse displays the iconic Ghostbusters sign in the apparatus bay.

Engine 24 and Ladder 5
14 North Moore Street, New York, NY 10013

Engine Company. No. 24 was originally quartered at 78 Morton St and Ladder Company No. 5 at 102 Charles Street when they were both organized in 1865. In 1975, both companies were moved to the firehouse they share on Sixth Avenue. They were among the first companies to arrive at the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001 and both units incurred heavy losses. These companies cover most of historic Greenwich Village.

Engine 55
363 Broome Street, New York, NY 10013

Engine Company No. 55 was organized on June 4, 1887 at 185 Lafayette Street (173 Elm) and in 1899 moved into its present quarters in what is now Little Italy. This outstanding firehouse was designed by the famed N. LeBrun & Sons, who produced over 40 buildings for the FDNY between 1880 and 1895.

Ladder 20
253 Lafayette Street, New York, NY 10012

Ladder Company No. 20 was organized March 30, 1889 and quartered at the “Firemen’s Hall,” at 155 Mercer Street, which served as the headquarters of the Metropolitan Fire Department. In 1974 the company moved into its present house on Lafayette Street with Engine Co. No. 13, which disbanded later that year. The firehouse still proudly displays the legend “Engine 13” on its façade almost 40 years later.

ABOUT

VISIT

EXHIBITIONS

HISTORY

EDUCATION

EVENT SPACE

SHOP

SUPPORT

NYCFM_RGB_Logo.png

New York City Fire Museum
278 Spring Street
New York, NY 10013

Phone: (212) 691-1303  Fax: (212) 352-3117

Open 7 days a week, 10:00am to 5:00pm
Closed on major holidays

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram

View location on Google Maps

© 2020 New York City Fire Museum