FEATURED WEB GALLERIES
Decades of Growth
The FDNY’s original museum opened as the Fire College Museum in Long Island City in 1934. Firefighter Walter Beatty was a strong supporter of the Museum and encouraged gifts of private collections. Programming at the Fire College grew and more space was needed so, in 1959, the collection was moved to the spare bay of Ladder 1/Engine 7’s house at 100 Duane Street. The Museum remained there until the Home Insurance Company presented its own extensive collection of fire memorabilia to the city in 1981. Combining the collection at Duane Street with the Home Insurance collection required moving to a larger space. The former quarters of Engine Company No. 30 were renovated and, in 1987, the New York City Fire Museum opened its doors to the public.